Monday, January 16, 2012

Steve's Club

Today C.Varied and I participated in a Day of Service with Steve's Club at KOP. It was an inspiring experience. We got to skype with soliders in Kandahar CrossFit in Afghanistan and do the WOD with them. The WOD today was a Hero WOD.

"Jack"

Complete as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of:
115/75 pound Push press, 10 reps - I used 2 20# dumbbells
10 KB Swings, 55/35#
10 Box jumps, 24/20 inch box

I got through 9 rounds with the help of my friend from Steve's Club in Camden, who counted for me and really helped me push myself. The kids from Steve's Club are awesome.

Huddled around the laptop to skype with Kandahar CrossFit

Group picture of Kids and Coaches from Steve's Club in Camden and KOP.
Photos Courtesy of C.Varied

Steve's Club is an organization connects the youth of the community with Crossfit.

Here is their mission statement:
"Steve’s Club and its participating members provide a national network of programs through which at-risk or underserved youth of any socioeconomic background can join in the CrossFit Community at a reduced, low or no cost structure."



It started as one gym in Camden, NJ and now it is opening up the program nationally. So Crossfit KOP started their own affiliate of Steve's Club in 2011. The coaches running Steve's Club are doing an amazing job. Once a month, we do a team WOD with the kids and it is a great opportunity to bring the two communities together. It is something that I look forward to each month. I don't think the kids realize how much they bring to our community.

If you ever looking for some great paleo snacks, Steve's Club offers a variety of snacks such as paleokits and paleo krunch. 15% of proceeds goes to Steve's Club National Program.

No comments:

Post a Comment